The Magic of Sourdough Pita

I know I have posted pita pictures before, but every time I make them I am astonished by the transformation of a flat disk of dough into a puffy pillow of stretchy, slightly sour, soft bread.

Whenever I make pita I use my Cripple Creek wholewheat starter and mix together a fifty-fifty blend of freshly milled whole wheat and white bread flour.

I crank my oven to 500 degrees and pat small balls of dough into flat disks using only the palms of my hands.

I lay three or four at a time on my heated pizza stone and in less than four minutes they transubstantiate from this.

to this.


Comments

  1. When we made pita together years ago, we used a rolling pin to flatten dough balls. Why hands only now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patting works just as well as rolling pin, is easier to find the counter space, and feels good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment