Shissel Rye

For the last three years my brother-in-law Marty has ordered Shissel Rye from Russ and Daughters as part of the Christmas to New Year's cook-athon we call Marty-week. Shissel rye is exceptionally good with whitefish spreads, but then again it is good with most any kind of overstuffed sandwich. The secret is the combination of caraway seeds and nigella seeds.

Food Republic says Nigella seeds have an oregano-like quality with herbaceous notes, a slight bitterness and a warm, toasted-onion flavor. 

My first attempt to reproduce Russ and Daughters' rye did not rise as high as I would have hoped. I maybe should have added some yeast, but, oh my (sigh) the flavor was incredible. The crumb was moist and airy, the combination of caraway and nigella was gracefully balanced, and the crust was crunchy.

Comments