Sourdough Flat Breads with Ramps

Now that I have a mill with which to grind fresh, whole-grain flour, my first stage is grinding.

Because spring is finally approaching Meadville, Pennsylvania, this week's delivery of our CSA vegetables included freshly picked ramps.
A couple of years ago I found David Lebovitz's recipe for scallion flatbreads and I thought that exchanging green onions for the garlicky flavor of chopped ramps would not be a very radical substitution.
Once the sourdough did its thing, I gently kneaded in chopped ringlets from the bulbous end of the ramps and fried the flatbreads.

We served the breads with salad, beer, and some beef ribs that had been in the freezer since Marty cooked them for the December holidays. The meal was extravagant but could not have been easier to prepare: mix together a salad, thaw and warm the ribs, flatten and fry the breads, and pour the beer.

Comments