Slow Rise Sourdough and Refrigeration

A couple of weeks ago I mixed up a dough but did not have time to bake it. This bread had freshly milled, hard spring wheat, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. I put it in the refrigerator. And left it there for three and a half days. Like a stew or soup that has seasoned with time the flavors that came to life in this loaf were deep, multilayered swells of mellow grains and subtle brews of sourdough flavors.

So I tried again. Beginning with my rye starter I added two half-cans of flat Pilsner, coarsely ground corn meal that had soaked overnight, rye, spelt, whole wheat, and white flours. I put it into the refrigerator for 24 hours with the same delectable results. No single flavor prevailed -- after baking the beer was just a faint aroma if you were looking for it -- but the slight crunch of corn, sweetness of rye, and finely milled wheat produced a small sonata.

Comments