Buckwheat Boule and Buns

I had to do some hurried baking last week. I was headed out of town to visit The Sourdough Project in North Carolina and our house didn't have any bread. So no time to follow a baker's formula or put a lot of thought into preparation. I took my white flour starter and added a cup or two of buckwheat flour. Buckwheat is funny because it is not biologically related to wheat, rye, oats, and barley. It is just a grass with big seeds that can be ground into flour.

The bread came out big and bursting with flavor and as is common when I make breads with buckwheat flour the interior crumb had a bluish hue. 

Several days later the bread was still fresh and there was a lot of it. The blue color was a beautiful offset for the golden color of garlic and olive oil. Garlic bread at its best.
In the same week I was also supposed to make some pita, but ran out of time so I baked them as rolls instead of popping them into steam-filled pitas.
A baker's dozen.

Comments