Potato Buns

It is always a little hard to believe that a mason jar of bubbly glop will inspire a dough of flour and water to become bread.  I added mashed potatoes to the sourdough starter in the picture.

For this version I boiled four medium, red potatoes with their skins on.  I used just enough water to cover the potatoes.  When the potatoes were soft and the water cooled I mashed them and used the thin soup-like mixture as the liquid for my bread.  There is something in potatoes that sourdough yeast really love because potato breads rise quickly and happily.  To this one I also added maybe 15% organic spelt flour.  The rest was something King Arthur calls Special Patent white flour.  I purchase it in 50 pound sacks.

I'm getting better at shaping rolls with both hands at the same time and these came out chewy with tiny sheets of red potato skin randomly flecking the rolls.

Comments