Soft Buns


Sue has known for a very long time that I like soft buns, but here's the proof.  I haven't spent a lot of time making buns, so before I prepared these, I checked a recipe.  This dough had a couple of table spoons of oil and an egg, neither of which I ordinarily add to my sourdoughs.  I also added spelt flour, which wasn't in the original recipe I consulted.  Spelt is an ancient relative of modern bread wheat.  It doesn't have as much gluten as bread wheat, but what it is missing in gluten, it makes up for with an earthy flavor that predates modern, industrialized farming.

Just for comparison, here is the same dough, made on the same day, but baked as a single loaf at 475 degrees instead of 400 degrees and in a Dutch Oven instead of on parchment paper.  Look how much difference baking technique makes to the loaf (on the right) that comes from the same ingredients.


Comments

  1. Share links to the recipes when you post!! Your public wants recipes :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment